The health and safety of our staff, volunteers and those we serve is our highest priority. As the coronavirus (COVID-19) continues to spread across the country, I want to reach out to those of you who faithfully support and pray for Waterfront Rescue Mission and share with you actions we are taking.
While we are providing services to the homeless and those enrolled in our programs, there will be some changes as the weeks progress. Our services still include meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and overnight shelter.
To date we are:
- Asking health screening questions for guests staying overnight and providing health care recommendations if symptoms exist
- Providing a Recuperation Dormitory, separate from the rest of the population, for those with flu or flu-like symptoms
- Keeping our populations separate (recovery clients in the 12-month program from those staying overnight)
- Reducing human contact between staff and clients (no handshaking, meetings in small spaces, etc.)
- Instructing staff & guests on best health practices (washing hands, covering coughs, etc.)
- Temporarily suspending volunteer participation
- Restricting staff travel and attendance at large gatherings
- Creating a COVID-19 rapid response team that can quickly respond to new information
- Working closely with the Escambia and Mobile County Health Departments
When someone is diagnosed with this virus, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) advises them to quarantine at home. Well, Waterfront Mission IS HOME to more than 150 men each night. Waterfront Pensacola and Mobile are the only home they have.
Therefore, as this situation continues to evolve, we will closely monitor guidance from the CDC and local health officials. We will continue to rely on their recommendations and expertise to inform our decisions. We thank you for your continued support and prayers for our most vulnerable neighbors and for those serving them on the front lines at Waterfront Mission.
I must and do believe that our God has all of us and this matter in the palm of His hand.
“I believe I shall see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage. Yes, wait for the Lord!” (Psalm 27:13-14)”